Child Turning 18 – What Are Parents Rights?

In this video blog (Vlog), Board Certified Elder Law Attorney Laurie Ohall explains what every parent should know about parents rights.

Do you have a child that will be going to college and/or has turned eighteen?  If so, you need to remember that, once your child turns 18, you as a parent, no longer have rights to make decisions for them.  You do not have the right to make health care decisions without their consent.  You do not have the right to make financial decisions without their consent (that means dealing with their bank account, unless you are also named on it).  You do not even have the right to talk to the college they may be attending (and you may be paying for) to get information about their grades or anything else.  What?  Yes, you read that correctly.  Once your child becomes an adult, the parent loses all their rights to the child’s information because now that the child is an adult, they have a right to privacy (unless they consent otherwise).

So how do you handle this?  You need to make sure that your 18 year old has a Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA) and a Living Will/ Health Care Surrogate Designation in place BEFORE they leave for college.

Would you like additional guidance from a knowledgable attorney? Schedule a complimentary phone consultation with Attorney Laurie Ohall by calling 813.438.8503 or online.



By |2016-06-29T11:40:20+00:00June 29th, 2016|Categories: Estate Planning, Florida Laws, Power of Attorney|Tags: |0 Comments