Social Security is Making Some Changes

Effective August 1, 2014, Social Security has announced it will discontinue providing Social Security Number printouts in order to prevent against fraud and protect the integrity of the Social Security Number. In order to request a replacement Social Security card, one must file Form SS-5, and you must provide a document to prove your identity, which can include a U.S. driver’s license, U.S. State issued identification card or a U.S. passport.

Additionally, effective October 1, 2014, Social Security will no longer provide benefit verification letters in their offices. You will have to go online to my Social Security – MyAccount to print out an instant letter online or you can call Social Security toll free at 1-800-772-1213 to request a letter by mail.

For more information about Social Security and benefits available to you, check out their website at

Laurie Ohall is a Florida Board Certified Elder Law Attorney based in Brandon, Florida.  Contact Ms. Ohall today if you need estate planningelder lawprobate or guardianship assistance.

By |2014-08-20T21:12:10+00:00August 20th, 2014|Categories: Social Security|Tags: |0 Comments