In order to calculate the benefit a veteran or his/her surviving spouse will receive, the VA deducts unreimbursed medical expenses (UME’s).  If a veteran or surviving spouse is entitled to Aid and Attendance (because they meet the medical qualifications), the VA allows for all reasonable fees paid to a facility to be deducted so long as the facility provides some medical or nursing services for the individual.  It is also useful to note that the services do not have to be furnished by a licensed health professional.  Thus, all the fees associated with an Assisted Living Facility are generally deductible as UME’s.


For more information about Veteran’s Affairs and benefits, please contact the Elder Law Offices of Law Ohall  in Brandon, Florida today.